Choosing the 8 best dry dog food for Border Collies is a difficult task. With hundreds of appropriate choices, selecting one may be almost impossible without some help.
We have provided some recommendations for dry food for dogs considering their life stages.
Here are some of the best dry dog food for Border Collies and you can pick one according to your dog’s needs.
- Purina Pro Plan Puppy Dry Dog Food: Best For Border Collie Puppies
Purina is one of the largest names in pet food and delivers specialised options for different groups of dogs. Accounting for a puppy’s unique nutritional needs, Purina Pro Plan Puppy Dry Dog Food is perfect for Border Colie Puppies.
From the time they turn 8 weeks old, till they are one year old, this is the ideal dry food for them. Additionally, this dry food is crunchy and helps clean the dog’s teeth.
- DHA helps in brain development
- It contains natural prebiotic fibre which improves digestive health
- It contains real meat
- It is very easy to digest
- A high-protein diet that promotes muscle mass
- It contains high levels of calcium which promote strong bones
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Not all dogs are fine with the taste
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Poultry By-product Meal, and Whole Grain Wheat.
- Victor Super Premium Dog Food – Nutra Pro: Best For Border Collie Puppies
With one of the highest protein contents, Victor Super Premium Dog Food – Nutra Pro is a great choice. It also helps improve the immune and digestive systems of your dog, leading to fewer health problems.
- It is suitable for all life stages but is better suited to puppies
- It is produced in the USA with locally sourced ingredients from trusted sources
- It is ideal for active dogs with high-energy demands
- It is a rich source of glucosamine
- The protein content is high
- The is a balanced concentration of essential amino acids
- It contains complex carbs
- The fibre content is low
Main Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Blood Meal Conventionally Dried, Whole Grain Millet, Chicken Fat, and Yeast Culture.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food: Best For Border Collie Adults
Blue Buffalo is dedicated to providing high-quality dog food designed to improve well-being and health. This dry food is perfect for active dogs, and it improves the immune system, as well as supports the hip and joints.
The ideal combination for an adult Border Collie, your dog will develop health and live a long and healthy life.
- It is made using all-natural ingredients and is free of artificial preservatives, flavour and colouring
- It contains Proteins and Carbohydrates that are essential to adult dogs
- High-quality protein sources help with building and maintaining muscle mass
- It contains LifeSource bits with antioxidants
- Wholegrains are present
- It contains Glucosamine which aids joint health and provides mobility support
- It helps to boost the immune system
- Not all dogs like the LifeSource bits
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, and Oatmeal.
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food: Best For Adult Border Collies
A grain-free recipe that can serve dogs with sensitive stomachs, Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food is perfect for adult Border Collies.
Your dog will get balanced nutrition with a combination of animal proteins, healthy fats, fruits and vegetables.
Designed to deliver everything your dog needs, even those outside the adult stage can still get some use out of this product.
- 84% of the protein content is derived from animal sources
- The first ingredient is real-deboned chicken
- It is formulated for adult dogs and engineered to meet their needs
- It aids in maintaining hip and joint health
- It promotes and improves fur and skin health
- It is easily digestible
- Made in the USA
- Not all dogs are fond of the taste
- Storage is compromised once the bad is opened
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, and Potatoes.
- ORIJEN Senior Dry Dog Food: Best For Senior Border Collies
ORIGEN is a seasoned expert who produces some of the best dog food, including this option for seniors. Designed for senior dogs regardless of breed, this dry food happens to be one of the best choices for a Border Collie.
Your Border Collie gets to eat like its ancestors, and still enjoy all the benefits of modern nutrition. Fewer possible dry food options can match this product for a Border Collie.
- The first five ingredients are all fresh or raw animal ingredients
- A whole prey diet that provides your dog with the best parts of the animal ingredients
- A tasty meal option that dogs love
- About 85% of the ingredients are animal proteins
- Excellent reviews from existing customers
- Fish and Fish organs are an excellent protein source
- It is designed to cater to the biological needs of senior dogs
- It is somewhat expensive
Main Ingredients: Chicken, turkey, salmon, whole herring, chicken liver, and dehydrated chicken.
- NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Senior Dry Dog Food: Best For Senior Border Collies
Ageing dogs typically have weakening immune systems and lower energy and activity levels, and their diet needs to account for this.
Your ageing Border Collie can live out the rest of its life in good health, all thanks to its diet.
Once your dog turns 7, you can switch them to this food and improve their quality of life in their later years.
- It is formulated especially for senior dogs
- It has a high fibre and calcium content
- It doesn’t contain any GMO ingredients
- Made in the USA with globally sourced and trusted ingredients
- It contains antioxidants which help improve the immune system
- The natural fibres present help ease digestion and improve digestive health
- Free of corn, wheat or soy
- Some dogs may not be comfortable with the smell
- Further packaging may be required to ensure a long shelf-life
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, and Brewers Rice.
- ACANA Wholesome Grains Dry Dog Food, Limited Ingredient Diet: Best For Border Collies With Allergies
ACANA provides a wide of recipes designed to cater to the specific needs of dogs and provides the ideal choice for Border Collies with allergies.
Made with high-quality ingredients, this limited ingredient is free of the most common allergens and is great for all dogs. This dry food is high in protein content, a prerequisite for any diet for Border Collies and is a great option.
- It contains up to 70% of animal ingredients
- A nutrient-dense option that meets all your dog’s dietary need
- A limited Ingredient ingredient has fewer chances of containing an allergen
- It contains fibre which improves digestion
- Free of artificial flavours, preservatives, and colours
- It has a high protein content
- It doesn’t contain gluten, legumes, or potatoes
- It is an expensive option
Main Ingredients: Beef, Deboned Pork, Beef Meal, Oat Groats, and Whole Sorghum.
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein HP Dry Dog Food: Best For Border Collies With Allergies/Itchy Skin
Royal Canin is known for making food tailored to specific breeds or groups of dogs and does the same here. A product of extensive veterinary research, this dry dog food is made for those with sensitive and itchy skin.
With essential nutrients that help relieve skin conditions and symptoms, your dog can live a normal healthy life. This product is only available with a veterinary recommendation.
- Fibres and prebiotics help improve digestive health
- It contains essential nutrients that help improve skin health
- It is formulated for skin allergies and is ideal for Border Collies
- It helps to improve skin health and improve inflammation
- Dogs with intolerances have no problems with this food
- It is a product that vets worldwide approve
- You need veterinary approval to purchase this product
- It is an expensive product
Main Ingredients: Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, and Dried Plain Beet Pulp.
How Much Food Do Border Collies Need?
An adult Border Collie needs at least 1000 calories of food daily. Their calorie needs are usually dependent on how active the dog is. The most active Border Collies will need up to 1400 calories daily, and any more than this can be considered overfeeding.
If your Border Collie’s feeding reaches this demand, they will maintain a healthy weight.
A Border Collie’s calorie demands are constant but you control the delivery. You determine how often your dog eats daily, keeping with their calorie needs.
Most dog owners opt to feed their Border Collies twice daily, while others prefer three meals. Never feed a Border Collie only one meal a day. Some dogs might thrive with one meal daily, but Border Collies are a small breed and have a faster metabolism.
As Border Collies get older, their food requirements reduce. With less activity and weight, a senior dog will need about 700 calories daily.
How Can I Fatten Up My Border Collie?
Increasing the amount of food your Border Collie eats is the most popular option to fatten up your Border Collie. Consult your vet before employing this technique to ensure that your dog needs to put on extra weight.
If not done right, you risk turning your dog obese and possibly facing health problems.
Another way to fatten your Border Collie is to feed them a diet with higher calories, or protein content. Border Collies have a limit as to how many calories they need, and the same applies to protein content.
Only active dogs need more calories or a higher protein content, especially when they already have a balanced diet.
If your dog is underweight because they refuse to eat, then you can change their diet to something more appropriate. Your dog’s preferences in conjunction with their dietary needs will determine which dry or wet food is the best choice.
Can You Feed A Dog Cooked Rice Every Day?
Never feed your dog cooked rice with great frequency. Dogs love rice and can eat it in moderation, and it even has several health benefits. Unfortunately, cooked rice doesn’t offer a balanced diet and you are putting your dog at risk of nutritional imbalance.
Only feed your dog cooked rice if they have an upset stomach as it is easy to digest.
Brown rice is the best option if you choose to feed cooked rice to your Border Collie. Brown rice is more nutritional and is more appropriate for dogs with health problems like diabetes.
Vets tend to prefer brown rice and some of them even recommend it to dealing with an upset stomach. You will need to apply moderation or add small quantities to your dog’s meal as opposed to feeding them rice as the main meal.
Border Collies are active dog breeds and need an appropriate diet to remain healthy. This makes choosing dog food one of the most important choices you can make for your Border Collie.
After some extensive research, our recommendation for the best dry food for Border Collies can help make your task less difficult.