The Best dry dog food for Basset Hounds will see them grow strong and healthy and live a fun-filled life. Choosing the best dry dog food isn’t always an easy choice, especially since there are numerous options.
To help ease your decision, we have selected some of our favourite dry food options for Basset Hounds, at different life stages.
Best Dry Dog Food For Basset Hound Puppies
Puppies are in the most fragile state of dogs and often require greater care during this period. After transitioning from their mother’s milk, their diet will need to provide immunity and strengthen the system.
Your puppy will also need food that is enticing enough to stimulate its appetite. Here are some of the best dry food options for Basset Hound puppies.
Now Fresh Grain Free Small Breed Dog Food Dry Puppy Food Recipe
With the finest natural ingredients and minimal processing, your dog gets an ideal diet which leads to healthy adulthood. The right start sets the tone for the rest of your Basset Hound’s life and that is what Now Fresh Grain-Free provides.
- It contains superfoods that help boost the immune system
- Minimal processing is involved, preserving the natural flavours and nutrients
- A grain-free recipe, featuring deboned Salmon
- It is perfect for a growing dog
- It is easily digestible and free of ingredients that obstruct digestion
- It helps improve stool quality
- It is made by expert nutritionists
- It is an expensive product
Main Ingredients: De-Boned Turkey, Whole Dried Egg, Peas, Potatoes, and Potato Flour.
American Journey Active Life Formula Puppy
American Journey is a renowned name in the veterinary world and delivers yet another excellent dry food. Formulated for puppies, this dry food is designed to provide balanced nutrition and meet all your puppy’s dietary needs. Packed with calcium and phosphorus, your dog will grow with strong teeth and bones, essential for all dogs.
- Made by expert nutritionists
- Free of artificial flavours, colours and preservatives
- A well-rounded balanced diet
- It is a reasonably priced dry food
- It can serve in place of grain-free recipes
- Antioxidants and nutrient-rich vegetables help improve the immune system
- It contains glucosamine and chondroitin
- The bibble may be too small for larger dogs
- It isn’t ideal for puppies with sensitive stomachs
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, and Rice Bran.
Best Dry Dog Food For Adult Basset Hounds
Adult Basset Hounds have specific nutritional needs, especially regarding their energy requirements. Any dry food option needs to match its needs, and still provide other nutritional benefits to help keep it healthy. We take a look at some of the best dry food options for Basset hounds.
Purina ONE Chicken and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Purina One is one of the biggest and most trusted dog food manufacturers in the world and delivers excellent dry food. Fit for several dog breeds, this food is perfect for adult basset hounds and provides ideal nutrition to match their energy needs.
This dry food contains no fillers and is designed to improve your Basset Hound’s muscles and promote a healthy heart.
- Filled with prebiotics and natural fibre to improve digestive health
- Probiotics improve gut microbiome and immune system health
- It contains high-quality carbohydrates to provide your dog with energy
- It is not an expensive product
- It is a nutrient-rich dry food
- A suitable dry food option for all breeds
- Complete and balanced nutrition for your dog
- The kibble may be too big for smaller dog breeds
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken and By-Product Meal.
American Journey Protein & Grains Dry Dog Food
If you want a dry dog food that is affordable without a loss in quality from more expensive products, then this is the one for you. American Journey Protein & Grains Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the needs of active breed dogs, which several large breeds fall under.
While it may not be the most notable brand in the market, this dry food does not lack quality.
- Free of corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavours and colouring
- It contains Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids in balanced proportions for skin and fur health
- Created by professionals with an interest in improving pet care
- The product is affordable
- This product is perfect for active dogs
- It helps improve digestive health
- It is a high-protein diet
- The Kibble is a bit too small for Basset Hounds
- Basset Hounds with food sensitivity may not like this product
Main Ingredients: Deboned Beef, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, and Rice Bran.
Best Dry Dog Food For Senior Basset Hounds
As seniors, Basset Hounds are once again fragile and require special care. Ageing is sure to bring with it some challenges, some of which can be health-related, but the right diet can help manage it.
VICTOR Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
VICTOR isn’t the biggest name in the industry but still delivers quality products. This recipe is designed for older dogs and is formulated to keep them fit and healthy, even as they age.
By providing extended energy, and improving joint health, your senior Basset Hound can have a healthy final years. Once your Basset Hound shows signs of ageing, switch to VICTOR Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin help improve joint health in the long term
- A nutrient-dense recipe that provides enough energy to match your dog’s needs
- Easily digestible and promotes a healthy immune system
- It doesn’t contain any meat by-products
- It contains fibre and manganese
- The protein content is ideal for senior dogs
- It helps with weight management
- The carbohydrate content may be too high for senior dogs
- Some seniors cant cope with chewing this kibble
Main Ingredients: Beef Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Whole Grain Millet, Grain Sorghum, and Chicken Fat.
Wellness Complete Health Senior Dry Dog Food
Wellness is dedicated to providing your pet with the best nutrition possible and giving them a lifetime of health.
With completely healthy senior dry food, even senior dogs can still have optimal health and thrive. This dry food also happens to be one of the best sources of protein and carbohydrates for a senior dog.
- It is designed to promote whole-body nutritional support
- Made in the USA with the best ingredients sourced from around the world
- It contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, probiotics, and taurine
- Free of preservatives, filler and meat by-products
- It boosts the immune system and energy levels
- It helps to improve joint and bone health
- Promotes coat and skin health
- The carbohydrate content may be too much for seniors
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, and Ground Brown Rice.
Best Dry Dog Food For Basset Hounds with Special Conditions
Some Basset Hounds will require a more specialised diet to battle preexisting conditions, either genetic or acquired.
Each condition may require a different kind of diet, but there are usually dry food options to match. We look at some of the best dry food options for popular conditions with Basset Hounds.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin
Hill’s Science specialises in special needs food and delivers a great option for dogs with skin and stomach sensitivities. Many Basset Hound owners already use this product and give raving reviews about it.
It also happens to be a very affordable product and is ideal for all Basset Hounds. With Hill’s Science Dry dog food, you’ll have a happy basset hound on your hands.
- It helps improve the gut microbiome of the dog
- It is easily digestible
- It has a wet food option for dogs with such preference
- It is approved by Veterinarians worldwide
- It isn’t too expensive
- It is perfectly designed for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs
- It helps improve digestive health
- Artificial flavours and fillers are present
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Yellow Peas, and Cracked Pearled Barley.
Nutro Natural Choice Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
Obesity is a common condition in some dog breeds, including Basset Hounds. If your dog is overweight, you’ll need a safe way for them to lose weight and that is what NUTRO Natural Choice Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food provides.
Formulated especially for obese dogs, your Basset Hound can eat the same, whilst safely losing weight. With natural fibres, this food is also easily digestible and has fewer chances of causing dietary problems.
- It is GMO-free, with no wheat, soy, corn or chicken by-product meal
- It contains antioxidants which support healthy immunity
- Lamb is the protein source
- With meat as the first ingredient, it has a high protein content
- It promotes healthy weight loss
- It is ideal for different dog breeds and sizes
- It contains prebiotics which aid satiation and digestion
- Not suitable for puppies
- It may cause stomach issues for some dogs
Main Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Rice Bran, and Whole Grain Brown Rice.
How Much Dry Food Should A Basset Hound Eat?
A Basset Hound needs about 2 cups of dry food daily. You can spread these 2 cups into two or three meals daily, and add a few snacks. Never feed your Basset Hound only one meal daily, or they could steal and beg for food.
Too much food can also be problematic as Basset Hounds are prone to bloating and obesity.
If you are trying to get your Basset Hound to lose or gain weight, you can adjust the quantity of food they eat. A 10-25% increment or reduction should be enough depending on what you are looking to achieve.
You may also need secure food items around the house as Basset Hounds have a strong sense of smell. They can get into human food, which isn’t healthy and can cause stomach upset.
Are Basset Hounds Allergic To Chicken?
There is no reason to believe that all Basset Hounds are allergic to chicken. That being said, Chicken is a common allergen and some Basset Hounds are Allergic to it. If your Basset Hound happens to be allergic to chicken, you need to avoid dry foods that contain it.
Without any evidence your dog is allergic to chicken, you can feed it to them as they tend to love it.
Chicken is a rich source of proteins and is a key ingredient in many dog foods. You can also feed your dog cooked chicken alongside their regular meal or as a snack. Remember to remove the bones before feeding your dog chicken.
You also need to avoid feeding them cooked bones as it constitutes a choking hazard. Contact your Veterinarian if you have any reason to suspect that your Basset Hound is Allergic to chicken.
Why Is My Basset Hound So Itchy?
An itchy Basset Hound means your dog is suffering from allergies. Humans typically sneeze when it comes to allergies, but itching is the symptom for Basset Hounds. Skin allergy, or Atopy as it is commonly known is a condition that is popular with Basset Hounds.
Some of the other areas affected include the feet, belly, folds of the skin and ears. In affected dogs, symptoms of atopy first show up early, between 1 and 3 years old.
Atopy is a treatable condition, and with something as simple as diet, you can help free your dog from this. It is important to start treatment immediately after you notice this condition, as symptoms will gradually worsen.
Contact your vet if you are still determining whether your Basset Hound has atopy or not. There are also a few alternative treatment options you can try which will help stop your dog’s itching.
Dry dog food is the healthiest option for a Basset Hound, as it helps with dental health, and has fewer chances of causing tummy issues.
You can keep your Basset Hound healthy, and happy by choosing the right dry food. Be sure to switch them to age-appropriate food once they are of age, and transition them gradually.