Rottweilers are one of the most energetic dog breeds in the world. Rottweilers are working dogs, and you can expect them to need strength and energy for their duties constantly.
Your Rottweiler needs the right diet, amongst other things, especially when they are growing.
Dry food is a great choice for Rottweilers; it helps dental health. Choosing the best dry dog food for rottweilers can be daunting, with many options. The most important thing to consider when choosing a dry dog food option is your dog’s needs.
A Rottweiler’s needs change with age, as should its food and diet. We have narrowed down some of the best choices, making it easier to select one.
Best Dry Dog Food For Puppy Rottweilers
Rottweiler puppies are still growing and have different nutritional needs to adults. They no longer gain nutrients and immunity from their mothers; their food must provide this. Many dry food options suit a rottweiler puppy, but we have chosen our favorite.
Option 1: Redbarn Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Redbarn is one of the few dry dog foods suitable for all life stages of a Rottweiler. Suitable for all dog breeds, large breeds like Rottweilers are more suited to this dry food. With turkey and chicken serving as the primary protein sources, this dry food provides the needed energy levels for a large dog.
- Functional ingredients that improve overall digestive health
- Provides fur and skin support
- Ingredients that contribute to heart health
- It is 100% made in the USA
- Suitable for all dog breeds at all life stages
- High protein content
- Available in different recipes
- Some dog owners consider it to be expensive
- The aroma isn’t pleasing to all dogs
Main Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Duck Meal, Turkey Meal, and Sweet Potato.
Option 2: Wellness Complete Health Puppy Food
With adult food also available, you can easily choose wellness complete as the meal of choice throughout your dog’s life.
- DHA from salmon oil, which is essential in brain development
- Formulated by world-class nutritionists using world-class ingredients
- No wheat, soy or corn present
- Calcium and phosphorus contribute to dental health
- There are both grain-free and grain-inclusive options
- Free of artificial coloring, flavours, and preservatives
- Small and large-breed options are available
- It is mostly made in the USA
- Not 100% made in the USA
- There isn’t a limited-ingredient diet option
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Ground Brown Rice, and Salmon Meal.
Best Dry Dog Food For Adult Rottweilers
Adult Rottweilers are at their peak, demanding energy and muscle-building foods. Maintenance is the keyword at this stage, as most adult food ingredients are designed to regulate. Different adult dry food options provide different benefits, but we have chosen our favorite options and narrowed your search.
Option 1: Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Adult
Designed specifically for large breed dogs, the key ingredient here is protein. Purina Pro Plan offers balanced nutrition for large-breed adults, making it ideal for Rottweilers.
- Excellent for muscle conditioning, especially when combined with exercise
- It is very rich in protein
- It contains Glucosamine and EPA that promotes joint health
- It provides a balanced nutrition
- Specially formulated to meet the demands of large-breed dogs
- The main protein source is the real meat
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Some dogs may be allergic to soybean
- Poultry-by-product is one of the ingredients
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, and Poultry By-product Meal.
Option 2: Authority Everyday Health Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for a great dry feed option for rottweilers at a discounted price, look no further than Authority Everyday Health. A basic recipe formula, this dr food provides large amounts of protein which Rottweilers need. It is also a great option for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- It contains Probiotics to help improve digestive health
- It boosts the immune system thanks to the presence of zinc and Vitamin E
- It contains Omega Fatty Acids that boost skin and fur health
- It aids in maintaining joint health and mobility
- It is one of the cheapest alternatives in the market
- It has large quantities of fiber and proteins
- Natural ingredients are a key feature
- Several of the ingredients in it are potential allergens
- It may be fattening to some dogs
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Corn, and Oat Groats.
Best Dry Dog Food For Senior Rottweilers
Past their prime, Rottweilers begin to need a more specialized diet. A greater emphasis in the formula is maintaining health instead of providing energy.
Moving them to a senior diet is important once your dog shows signs of aging. Of the many possible options, we have selected two excellent choices.
Option 1: Wellness Complete Health Senior
Designed by scientists and nutritionists, Wellness Complete Health Senior is perfect for your aging Rottweiler. This diet is grain inclusive and still provides your dog with enough energy for all necessary activities.
- Protein-rich, designed to improve overall body health
- Made from all-natural ingredients, free of artificial flavors and preservatives
- Designed with ingredients to improve joint and heart health
- The kibble design helps keep the teeth clean
- The Ideal dry dog food for senior dogs
- Many dogs consider it a tasty meal
- 100% made in the USA
- Free from Soy, heat, corn and gluten
- It may be too expensive for some dog owners
- It may contain too many protein options
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, and Ground Brown Rice.
Option 2: ORIJEN Senior Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
With over two decades of excellent service, ORIJEN is one of the most trusted names in the pet food industry.
If your dog loves chicken and turkey, look further than this dry food option. In keeping with AAFCO standards, ORIJEN Senior Grain-Free Dry Dog Food meets all the nutritional requirements for dogs of the appropriate life stage.
- All ingredients are obtained freshly
- The use of biologically appropriate ingredients for a senior dog
- Wholeprey animal selection of ingredients
- Fresh and raw ingredients are a key fixture
- It is made with locally sourced ingredients
- It doesn’t contain any ingredient that can be deemed controversial
- A grain-free dry food option
- There are many fruits and vegetables among the ingredients
- It is quite expensive
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Whole Herring, and Chicken Liver.
When Should I Switch My Rottweiler To Dry Dog Food?
You should switch your Rottweiler to a dry food diet by the time it is three months old. Around the 9-week, you can start transitioning them from a wet diet. The transition should be complete around the 12-week mark for all large breed dogs.
The most important thing is to choose the best dry dog food for rottweilers. The same school of thought applies if you want to switch your Rottweiler to a wet diet.
For the first eight weeks of your dog’s life, they should depend solely on their mother’s milk. Once the first two months are up, you can fully wean them.
The most important thing when choosing a food option is meeting your puppy’s needs. Dry food is the most popular choice as it has a longer shelf life and helps keep teeth clean.
Another thing to consider when weaning your puppy is the amount of food. Overfeeding can lead to bloating or result in your dog being overweight. Contact a vet or follow the instructions on the food option you choose.
How Can I Make My Rottweiler Gain Weight?
If your Rottweiler is underweight, they face potential health risks. You need to help your Rottweiler gain weight to help keep them healthy. You can employ a few methods to help a Rottweiler gain weight.
Increase Food Intake: The most obvious step to helping a Rottweiler gain weight is to give them more food.
The only drawback here is that there is a limit to how much food your Rottweiler should eat. If they are still under the limit, you can increase their intake, and they should start gaining weight.
High-Calorie Foods: If your dog is eating the recommended amount and still needs to gain some weight, the problem lies with the food.
A different food option, preferably one with higher calories, might be what your dog needs. With the same amount of food, your dog will start gaining weight.
Fatty Diet: Adding Fatty foods to your dog’s diet is another effective way to help them gain weight. The only drawback is that most vets only recommend this if the situation is dire.
Consult your vet to determine if your underweight Rottweiler needs a fatty diet before adding it to their food.
Rest: Sometimes, the problem has nothing to do with food and is a matter of fatigue. If your dog isn’t getting enough rest, it will look sickly.
Give them plenty of rest, allowing the food and any other additives a chance to work.
A combination of these factors and a consultation from a vet will make your dog gain weight.
There is also the possibility that a lean-looking Rottweiler is ill and needs medical attention. Contact a vet before you apply any of the suggestions above.
How Do I Keep My Rottweiler Healthy?
The most important thing you can do to keep a Rottweiler healthy is to feed them an appropriate diet. A nutritious diet will boost and maintain the immune system while providing other essential nutrients.
The more nutritious your dog’s diet, the greater their chance of remaining healthy.
Grooming and proper care are other ways to ensure your Rottweiler remains healthy. You can prevent causative organisms from affecting your Rottweiler by trimming the hair and nails and bathing them periodically.
Brushing their teeth and other practices greatly improves the chances of your Rottweiler staying healthy.
One more way to keep your Rottweiler healthy is to take them in for regular checkups with the vet. You can take them in for a checkup before your dog shows signs of illness.
Regular checkups will improve the chances of early detection of illnesses and potentially save your dog. Alternatively, you can watch for the slightest attitude changes to know when a visit to the vet is necessary.
Exercise is another way to keep your dog healthy. With frequent exercise, your dog will remain active and avoid obesity.
Every dog’s exercise needs different and large dogs like Rottweilers require more than their smaller counterparts. Two daily walks can provide enough exercise to keep your dog healthy.
What Foods Are Rottweilers Allergic To?
The most common Rottweiler allergies include Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Food Colouring and Preservatives. Each dog is different, so you need to observe your dog in case it has a particular allergy.
Food allergies amongst Rottweilers are rare and often result in skin irritation. If your Rottweiler suddenly develops a skin condition, it is likely caused by an allergy to a food substance.
The degree of allergy reactions varies from one Rottweiler to the next. Once you detect an allergic reaction, rush your dog to the vet to prevent extreme developments. Subsequently, avoid any options that involve the allergenic to ensure your dog remains in perfect health.
Final Thoughts: Best Dry Dog Food For Rottweilers
Diet is the key to a happy Rottweiler, with dry food being the most popular choice for many dog owners. It is important to ease your dog into a dry diet by mixing it with reducing quantities of wet food.
You should also consider any special preferences or dietary requirements your dog may have. The Best Dry Dog food for Rottweilers is often perfect for the dog in question.