German Shepherds are among the most active dog breeds in the world, and their diet needs to reflect that. Dry food is the most popular choice as it helps keep teeth clean and has a longer shelf life.
There are numerous dry food options, but your Dog’s age is the most important thing to consider. At different points in their life, German Shepherds have different requirements. We look at some of the best dry food for German Shepherds.
Best Dry Food For German Shepherd Puppies
As puppies, German Shepherds transition between mother’s milk and store-bought or homemade food. This transition is crucial as the Dog no longer gets immunity from the mother and must be fortified.
Choosing the right dry food is no easy feat, considering several factors. We have selected two of the top dry food options for German Shepherds to make the choice easier.
Option 1: Royal Canin German Shephard Puppy Dry Pellet Dog Food
As part of Royal Canin’s german shepherd diet, the puppy dry food option is perfect for a growing German Shepherd. With a kibble designed to appeal to German Shepherd puppies, this is the ideal option to introduce them to dry food. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, your Dog will develop a strong immune system.
- Specially designed for puppies between 8 weeks and 15 months old
- Filled with antioxidants and Vitamin E that help boost the immune system
- It contains digestible proteins and specific fibres which aid digestion and stool
- It ensures your Dog has no stool issues
- The kibble is ideally shaped for German Shepherds
- It helps improve digestive system health
- It aids in the formation and strengthening of bones
- It may cause weight gain
- Not suitable for adults and senior dogs
Main Ingredients: Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brown Rice, Oat Groats, and Corn Gluten Meal.
Option 2: Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food
With one of the best value-for-money products, IAMS delivers the ideal dr food for German Shepherd puppies.
Designed to replace the nutrients lost when transitioning from mother’s milk, your puppy is in great company. Best of all, this product is cheap, especially when compared to the others on the market.
- It is specially designed for large-breed puppies
- It is enriched with premium-sourced proteins, which are essential for muscle development
- Omega 3 DHA is essential for cognitive development
- It is considerably cheap
- It contains nutrients to match those obtained from the mother’s milk
- It is made with farm-raised Chicken
- It facilitates brain, immune system and joint development
- It could cause stomach upset in some dogs
- Artificial colours and animal by-products are used
Main Ingredients: Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, and Dried Plain Beet Pulp.
Best Dry Dog Food For Adult German Shepherds
Adult German Shepherds are active dogs and have a high-calorie need. Your choice of dry food must match their needs to ensure they remain healthy and strong. You also need to consider their preferences and eating habits. With all these in focus, we have selected the top two dry food options for German Shepherds.
Option 1: Royal Canin German Shepherd Adult Dry Dog Food
With a set of dry food options dedicated to German Shepherds, Royal Canin can be your dry food of choice throughout your Dog’s life. From 15 months and above, this dry food is intended for German Shepherds in the Prime of their life.
Formulated with nutrients and ingredients designed to improve their health, your German Shepherd can live its best life.
- It contains Prebiotics and proteins that improve the digestive system
- Includes antioxidants and vitamin E to improve a dog’s natural defences
- The kibble is designed for German Shepherd teeth
- No artificial flavours or colouring
- Designed to maintain optimal fitness in your Dog
- Ideal for mixing with wet food and food toppers
- Real Chicken is the first ingredient
- Not all dogs like the Aroma
- The texture may be off-putting for some dogs
Main Ingredients: Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brown Rice, Oat Groats, and Chicken Fat.
Option 2: The Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters Grain-Free Beef
If you are looking for an all-natural dry dog food, look no further. Tagged the first human-grade grain-free dog food, The Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters Grain-Free Beef is ideal for German Shepherds.
It is a healthy, easily digestible dry dog food with minimal processing and live probiotics.
- Made with human-grade ingredients
- It is designed for all life stages
- No artificial flavours, colouring, GMO and feed grade ingredients
- No artificial additives
- Made with ranch-raised beef
- Kibble is in small bite-sized pieces
- It is filled with probiotics, antioxidants and healthy fat
- It may be expensive for some
Main Ingredients: Beef, potatoes, peas, beef liver, and lentils.
Best Dry Dog Food For Ageing German Shepherds
Senior German Shepherds have different nutritional needs than adults. With slower metabolism and activity levels, calorie needs are reduced. Instead, food choices must be geared toward preventing common health problems like hip dysplasia. We look at our favourite dry food choices for senior German Shepherds.
Option 1: Royal Canin Large Ageing 8+ Senior Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin famously produces dog foods targeted at certain dogs, which is the case here. Designed for ageing large-breed dogs, this dry food option is perfect for German Shepherds.
Formulated with several essential nutrients, your ageing Dog can remain active all day. The product is also easy to digest, avoiding any stomach problems.
- Designed with antioxidants that help limit the signs of ageing
- A balanced mix of fibres to improve digestive health
- Easy-to-chew kibble design
- Designed to promote a long and healthy life
- Designed for large-breed seniors
- Promotes good health and vitality
- It aids in digestion
- It boosts joint and bone health
- Some dogs have difficulty digesting it
- It may be too expensive
Main Ingredients: Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, wheat, corn gluten meal, and chicken fat.
Option 2: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Large Breed Adult 6+
This dog food is ideal for large-breed seniors and is designed to provide them with the necessary nutrients. You can keep your German Shepherd in good health for a longer period.
- It is designed to improve joint health
- It contains a balanced set of minerals essential for senior dogs
- All the ingredients used are easily digestible
- It is easy on the digestive system
- It boosts the Dog’s digestive health
- It improves the skin and fur coat
- It is 100% made in the USA
- There may be issues with the availability
Main Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, and Whole Grain Sorghum.
Best Dry Foods For Sensitive Stomach German Shepherds
Some German Shepherds have sensitive stomachs and don’t digest regular dry food options easily. Instead, they pass gas, get constipated or have trouble eating. These German Shepherds need specialised dry foods that are easy to digest. We look at our favourite dry foods for German Shepherds with sensitive stomachs.
Option 1: Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Stomach Large Breed Dog Food
Made for dogs with sensitive stomachs, Purina Pro ensures every Dog gets the proper nutrition. With a wet food option available, you can get the best option for your German Shepherd according to their preference. It is formulated with essential nutrients that help improve your Dog’s overall health.
- Rich in EPA and DHA, which improve heart health
- It contains natural prebiotic fibres
- It features live probiotic fibres which aid digestion
- It is designed to aid in muscle conditioning
- It is easily digestible
- It promotes digestive and joint health
- Rich in Omega-6 fatty acids
- Availability is limited
- It only comes in one flavour
Main Ingredients: Salmon, Barley, Oatmeal, and Fish Meal.
Option 2: Best Breed Dr Gary’s German Dog Diet
A product from a real-life veterinarian, Dr Gary was inspired by seeing several German Shepherds with skin and stomach issues.
This dry food is designed for easy digestion and provides maximum nutrient absorption. Your German Shepherd will be healthier, and it all starts with a healthy stomach.
- Experienced Veterinarians develop it
- It is made with natural ingredients that support joint health
- Designed specifically for German Shepherds with skin and stomach issues
- It is formulated for maximum nutrient absorption
- Suitable for dogs at all life stages
- 100% made in the USA
- It is made with all-natural ingredients
- Not suitable for small-breed dogs
- It could cause bloating
Main Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, and Chicken Fat.
What Are The Best Ingredients For German Shepherds?
Chicken, turkey, Lamb, Eggs, and Beef are the best ingredients for a German Shepherd’s meal. As active dogs, protein and carbohydrates are the main need for German Shepherds and should be featured in their diet. The protein content of a German Shepherd’s food should be around 20-25%.
The protein in a German Shepherd’s food also maintains muscle mass. Without the necessary proteins and carbohydrates, your Dog will appear lean and lack energy. Most dog food options often feature adequate protein content for this purpose. You can supplement your German Shepherd’s meals with protein sources like meat or fish.
Protein deficiency in German Shepherds is possible with some of the most popular dog food options. While cases are rare, they can be allergic to meat, Chicken, turkey, beef or fish. Avoid dog food with ingredients our Dog is allergic to, opting for more appropriate substitutes.
Can You Feed A German Shepherd Rice?
Rice is a great food option for German shepherds; some are okay with eating it every day. Feeding a dog rice sparingly is advised as it doesn’t have the balanced nutrients required to keep a dog healthy. You can mix rice with beef, Chicken, and protein sources.
Rice is a popular choice for feeding sick dogs or those with sensitive stomachs. It is easy to prepare and easy on the digestive system, the perfect combination for a sensitive German Shepherd. Rice is also an excellent fibre source and is featured as an ingredient in many dry dog food choices.
Brown Rice is the best type of rice to feed a dog, especially one with a sensitive stomach. While rice can sometimes cause a dog’s blood sugar level to rise, making it a poor choice for diabetics. You can still use white rice for your Dog, but only in small, infrequent doses.
What Foods Should German Shepherds Not Eat?
Several foods are known to cause German Shepherd harm, like Grapes and Rhubarb. Other possible harmful foods include Raisins, Unripe Tomatoes, Caffeine, Alcohol, Peaches, Plums and cherries.
Avoid feeding any of these foods to a German Shepherd directly or indirectly. Always store fruits and foods out of the reach of German Shepherds to avoid accidental consumption.
Food allergies are also a possibility and can cause a German Shepherd harm. Each Dog is unique, and they usually have varying allergens. Even regular and seemingly harmless foods can be dangerous to a German Shepherd. You should observe your German Shepherd for any food allergies and avoid them.
If your German Shepherd ingests any harmful foods, you should rush them to the Vet immediately. The Dog in question may be vomiting, diarrhoea or seizures, all indicating food toxicity.
The longer you wait before getting their attention, the more damage is done, and the result could be fatal.
How Do I Know If My German Shepherd Is Healthy?
The most obvious way to detect the health status of your German Shepherd is from their weight. A healthy adult German Shepherd will weigh between 55 and 90 lbs (25-41kg), depending on their sex. Males are typically larger, weigh more than females, and are generally more active.
Any change in their weight or appearance can indicate that your German Shepherd is unhealthy. You should track their weight and monitor their weight to identify deviations easily.
Positive conditions like pregnancy can cause deviations, so there isn’t any need to panic. Contact your Vet for an expert opinion and possible next steps to restore your Dog to optimal condition.
Another way to tell if your Dog is healthy is by checking their activity. German Shepherds, in particular, are active and require daily exercise. As dogs get older, their energy levels decrease gradually, but a sudden drop is a cause for worry.
Conclusion: Best Dry Dog Food For German Shepherds
Food choice is one of the most important decisions you must make as a dog owner. The right food will have your Dog feeling active and healthy.
When choosing a dry dog food option for German Shepherds, you must consider age and health status. Once you can care for your German Shepherd’s stomach, it will be healthy for a long time.