Blue Heelers are Aussie sweethearts and require the best care possible starting with diet. Dry food is the healthier choice and there is no shortage of options to choose from. We take a look at some of the best dry dog foods for blue heelers, to help make selecting one easier.
Best Dry Dog Food For Blue Heeler Puppies
Puppies are in a delicate position having been freshly weaned and need special care and nutrition. Your dry food choice needs to account for the nutrients lost in the transition and help build your dog’s immune system. Of the numerous dry food choices available, we take a look at our favourites.
Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Grain-Free Salmon Dry Dog Food
Holistic Select may not be the biggest name in the industry, but it still provides some quality dog foods. If you want dog food that can serve your Blue Heeler throughout its lifetime, this is the ideal choice.
With a balanced diet, your dog has everything it needs at any point in its life. This dry food also features a healthy concentration of proteins and fats, which provides your dog with much-needed energy.
- It provides a balanced diet
- It is designed to improve whole-body health
- It is made with globally sourced ingredients, in the USA
- Prebiotics and probiotics help improve gut health
- A great source of energy for dogs
- It contains several essential amino acids
- It is suitable for all life stages
- It contains peas
Main Ingredients: Salmon, Potatoes, Peas, Menhaden Fish Meal, and Dried Ground Potatoes.
Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Puppy Recipe
If you’re looking for dry dog food made especially for Blue Heeler Puppies, look no further than Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Puppy Recipe. Packed with all the essential nutrients your dog needs after transitioning from mother’s milk, there isn’t a better option.
As soon as they can eat solid food (around 8 weeks), you can introduce them to this food and have them grow in good health. With one of the highest protein sources available, it is the perfect meal for a growing dog.
- Protein sources include salmon and chicken
- Specially formulated for puppies
- Inspired by the canine need for a raw diet
- Omega fatty acids help improve skin and coat health
- Most dogs love the taste of this food
- It helps to improve joint and hip health
- It is designed to give puppies strong muscles and ideal energy levels
- Peas are included
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, and Turkey Meal.
Best Dry Dog Food For Adult Blue Heelers
Adulthood comes shortly after a dog’s infancy, and their dietary needs change, as should their diet plan. While some Blue Heelers will eat anything you put in front of them, they have specific nutritional needs for optimal performanceSeveral dry dog foods arere ideal for adult Blue Heelers and we have selected our favourites.
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
Some adult Blue Heelers have issues with allergies and need specialised care. Limited Ingredient Diets are the best option for dogs with allergies and Canidae produces an excellent option for Blue Heelers.
While it is a limited Ingredient Diet, it still features the essential nutrients your dog requires to function optimally. This may be the best dry food for adults as it is also suitable for those without allergy issues.
- Free of artificial colours, preservatives and fillers
- A limited-ingredient diet
- It contains only ten real food ingredients
- Limited-ingredient diets have less chance of containing allergens
- A grain-free recipe, with no gluten, wheat and soy
- It is fortified with fatty acids and probiotics
- It is made from a whole-food recipe
- There is a possibility that grain-free recipes can cause heart disease
Main Ingredients: Bison, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, and Lentils.
American Journey Active Life Formula
American Journey focuses on your dog’s primal appetites, providing high levels of protein in this diet. The main focus of this dry dog food is health, and the formula is designed accordingly, to maintain ideal weight.
Packed with quality fibre, digestion is easier and your dog remains full for longer than with most other options. Once your dog is one you should switch from puppy kibble to the right adult meal option.
- Free of wheat, corn, soy, and poultry by-products
- It doesn’t contain any artificial flavours or preservatives
- A well-rounded diet that meets all your dog’s needs
- It contains chondroitin and glucosamine which improves mobility
- L-carnitine promotes lean muscles
- It contains Omega fatty acids which improve skin and coat health
- It is easily digestible
- Chicken is an allergen for some dogs
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, and Rice Bran.
Best Dry Dog For Senior Blue Heelers
With genetic predispositions and a weakening immune system, senior dogs need all the care you can give. The first step on the road to perfect health for a senior is choosing the right diet.
A senior dog has specific dietary needs which need to account for the requirement. We take a look at some of the best available dry dog food options for senior blue heelers.
VICTOR Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
VICTOR is a household name among pet food producers and is one of the most trusted brands.
This dry food is designed for senior dogs and is formulated to provide them with the necessary energy levels.
Additionally, this dry food helps your ageing dog maintain a healthy weight as obesity is a common problem amongst senior dogs. A nutrient-dense recipe, your Blue Heeler will enjoy numerous benefits including anti-ageing.
- A nutrient-dense dry food featuring several essential nutrients
- It contains vitamins, minerals, proteins and amino acids
- It is designed to provide an ageing dog with much-needed energy
- 100% made in the USA with locally sourced ingredients
- L-carnitine helps improve metabolism
- It contains chondroitin and glucosamine which help improve joint health
- The unique VPRO blend helps improve digestibility
- Some of the grains may be allergens
Main Ingredients: Beef Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, and Whole Grain Millet
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe
Blue Buffalo Life Protection formulas are a hit with many dog owners, and the senior recipe is no exception. This recipe features chicken as the first ingredient and is the main source of protein.
Blue Buffalo is dedicated to providing your dog with everything it needs to stay healthy and features life source bits. Your senior dog needs all the health benefits it can get, making Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe perfect.
- Free of corn, wheat, soy and poultry by-product meals
- It is designed to provide your senior dog with much-needed energy
- Chondroitin helps with joint health
- It is the ideal dog food for skin and coat health
- It contains enough antioxidants for your dog
- It helps to boost the immune system
- It is designed to help make your senior dog more mobile
- Some of the grains used could be possible allergens
Main Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, and Chicken Meal.
Best Dry Dog Food For Blue Heelers With Special Conditions
Some Blue Heelers have special health conditions and promptly need a special diet. Each condition may have a specific dry food option that counteracts it. We look at some of the most common medical conditions with Blue Heeler and the best dry food options for them.
Go! SENSITIVITIES Limited Ingredient Venison Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Go! Solutions provide the perfect response to dog owners seeking an alternative to common dry foods with allergens. This dry food features venison deer meat as its protein source, replacing the traditional chicken and fish.
With few ingredients involved in making this food, there is a higher chance that your sensitive Blue Heeler will find it to be the perfect food. It also helps to improve overall health, possibly eliminating the sensitivity and allowing the dog to live a normal life.
- It contains only one animal protein
- It provides dogs with a balanced diet
- It contains natural ingredients
- Free of common allergens
- It is made by top nutritionists and pet experts
- It is suitable for dogs of all ages
- It is ideal for brain development, along with skin and coat health
- It may be somewhat expensive
Main Ingredients: De-Boned Venison, Venison Meal, Tapioca, Peas, and Pea Flour.
Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete Formula Dry Dog Food
Some blue heelers need to gain weight and dog owners have asked for a healthy way to achieve this, enter Diamond Naturals. With the Extreme Athlete Formula Dry Dog Food, your underweight Bluee Heeler can gain much-needed weight.
While this food is healthy, ensure your Blue Heeler needs weight gain before opting for it, or risk fattening a perfectly healthy dog.
- Free of artificial flavours, colours, corn, wheat or soy
- Chicken and eggs are the main protein sources
- Made in the USA, with the finest globally sourced ingredients
- It contains probiotics and antioxidants which help boost the immune system
- It helps with healthy weight gain
- It features naturally occurring microorganisms
- An expensive product
Main Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat, and Cracked Pearled Barley.
Can I Add Oil To Dry Dog Food?
You can add Olive oil to dry dog food and improve the meal’s nutritional content. Olive oil is a rich source of fatty acids, a key nutrient in several dog foods with several health benefits.
Most dog owners reserve adding oil to dry dog food for when the food is lacking in omega fatty acids. You can also add it to your dog’s diet and improve its overall health by boosting skin and coat health. Some healthy oils you can add to dry dog food include krill oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and flaxseed oil.
While adding oil can be a good thing, you need to watch how much you feed your dog. Too much oil can cause your dog to be overweight, prompting several health problems and defeating the original purpose.
What Liquid Can I Mix With Dry Dog Food?
Water is the perfect liquid to add to your dry dog food. A little moisture will help soften the kibble and improve digestibility. Some dog owners prefer to soak the kibble for a while before feeding it to the dog. Too much water can eliminate some of the benefits of dry dog food, making it seem like wet food.
If you are looking to make dry food more appealing to your dog, you can try adding gravy. You will activate the hidden flavours in the dry food and mix them with that of the gravy. Any dog, even a picky one is sure to appreciate a little gravy sprinkled over dry food.
How Much Dry Food Should A Blue Heeler Eat?
Blue Heelers aren’t the most demanding dogs and can thrive on a limited feeding diet. A Blue Heeler’s food intake is often decided by its activity levels. The more active a Blue Heeler, the higher amount of food it will need. As long as your dog maintains a healthy weight, you won’t have to worry about increasing the ratio.
Puppies need three meals evenly spaced while adults need two meals. Once they are a year old, your Blue Heeler is officially classified as an adult and should transition to adult feeding. Some dog owners tend to feed dogs one meal daily, but this is not advisable.
While large dog breeds may get by with one meal, blue heelers aren’t so resilient. In addition to two meals daily, you can give them snacks and treats to supplement the diet.
The best dry dog food for blue heelers often varies from one to the next as each dog has its personal preferences. Once you can get the diet right, your dog will grow p healthy, and be an adorable pet.